How to be a part of SRCCON 2021
Our call for participation form is open with questions to tell us how you want to participate at SRCCON. If invited to attend, you will have the chance to purchase a ticket with prices starting at $125 plus fees.
Our deadline for proposing sessions has already passed, but we’ll keep our call for participation form open for attendees as long as we have space!
Key Dates for Your Calendar:
- By Thursday, July 22: Anyone who proposed a session or applied for a stipend by July 16 will be notified
- On a rolling basis: Within a week or so of submitting our call for participation form, anyone who selects “I’d like to attend” will be notified about whether they are invited to purchase a ticket
- August 11-13: SRCCON 2021, online!
This year will be our second digital SRCCON, and we’re building an online space based on what we collectively value about the physical experience and what we cherished about the online experience in 2020.
Curious about how it all works? Learn more about the SRCCON attendee experience. The participation form will help you tell us how you’d like to be part of SRCCON 2021. There won’t be a separate ticket lottery or sale date, so if you want to come to SRCCON 2021, our call for participation will be how to let us know! As space remains available, we will keep the call for participation open for tickets only, but submitting the form early is your best chance to attend.
When & where
August 11-13, online!
We’ll be gathering over three days, with generous breaks. Reserve these blocks on your calendar now:
|Date||Blocks (all in ET)|
|Aug. 11 (Wed)||
|Aug. 12 (Thurs)||
|Aug. 13 (Fri)||
Learn more about our how we’ll make the schedule together, and other information attendees need to know.
About SRCCON 2021
The SRCCON program is focused on the practical challenges that news technology and data teams encounter every day. At SRCCON, you’ll:
- Be part of hands-on workshops that reimagine newsroom tech, teamwork, leadership, community, and journalism itself —not panels where you sit back and listen, but sessions where you participate and learn.
- Connect with people who share your hopes and dreams for journalism—not just making professional acquaintances, but creating personal relationships that last.
- Bring who you are into a conference that thinks about the program, the schedule—even games & meals—as ways to celebrate everything you have to share.
SRCCON will be a place to re-energize, personally and professionally, where the care participants take with one another animates every piece of our shared program. The conversations that happen here come from the community and reflect its values:
- We lead change—by challenging the power structures that have failed our industry, we push for long-lasting change in our organizations, led by journalists of color and journalists in local and regional newsrooms.
- We support one another—by offering each other our expertise and empathy, we find new collaborators, help each other learn, and make our networks and organizations more resilient.
- We experiment in the open—by sharing our work and processes, we do the transformative work our organizations need to better connect with and inform our communities.
Our work exists to create a future where journalists can work in newsrooms that are equitable, inclusive, and collaborative. We hold space for you to bring your entire self to SRCCON, just as we hope that one day everyone will be able to bring their whole selves to work—instead of feeling the need to self-oppress because of identity or background. We also hope to provide the community, environment, and support you need to focus on your work (or what you’re passionate about), and at least for a while, do it without carrying extra weight.
Who attends SRCCON events
Our participants represent organizations ranging from massive to tiny, and come from all over the U.S. and many other countries. Accessibility is a core value, and we always offer live session transcripts and tons of documentation throughout the conference. Just like last year, much of the SRCCON program will be available across multiple time zones and through asynchronous participation—if you need to take care of the popsicle your kid just dropped on the floor or step away for an urgent call, we want to make it possible to participate around the complexity of this moment.
SRCCON participants are developers, designers, journalists, editors, and allies: the practitioners and leaders who are transforming their newsrooms into more representative and innovative places to work. Participants come to SRCCON to change journalism by creating more intentional processes, better relationships with the communities they cover, and new ways to engage and inform people.
How much does it cost?
Ticket prices start at $125, plus ticketing fees. We’ll also offer a limited number of need-based, free scholarship tickets as well as $250 stipends for attendees whose time to attend would otherwise be uncompensated.
SRCCON events don’t have open sale dates or lotteries. If you want to come to SRCCON 2021, our call for participation is how to let us know.
SRCCON events are produced by OpenNews. We help people strengthen relationships across organizations and build a more equitable future for journalism. Through interactive events and programs, we help peers share knowledge and care for a community grappling with complex problems. Incubated at the Mozilla Foundation from 2011-2016, OpenNews is now a project of Community Partners.